Sunday, 14 February 2016

Underground home, realistic home or climate change death scenario planning ?

At first the plan was to just sit on the land, save money and build the house when we retired. Seriously though, who can be so sensible, I mean who knows how long we will be around and it's just way too exciting to build a house, to not build a house. The plan was to do it cheap! We were thinking of container homes. What a god send this crazy idea was, because it brought us to Deidree and Darren from Curlew homes.  Great architects and now our awesome friends


                    http://www.curlewhomes.com.au/#!about/c1x9v


 We were initially thinking about container homes, but after some discussion with Curlew homes we decided that the containers themselves were a little limiting and not that cost effective. Even though they were definitely fun to think about cool designs with..

So then I decided to go against everything everyone advised me and pursue the idea of an earth sheltered home. I had seen some drawing of an architect here in Australia and my dreaming began.
 Of course my very careful suspicious husband was totally against the idea, but don't worry that didn't stop me. I wanted an earth sheltered home and I would not be happy unless I had one. Of course this is a very cool idea. Now in retrospect i can see why it wouldn't have worked for us .it would have been great on a different plot, ours was just not wide enough.

 So the dream lived for a while and cost us a few thousand to work up only to discover it was not going to work . I  know the architects too would have loved this project to have worked. My heart was a little broken but i realized i was just one step closer to being a normal person who did things the normal way .

















1) wrong setting land not wide enough
2) wrong climate not enough extremes in temperatures and too humid
3) would not take advantage of the view or the breeze
4) bank would have never lean't us the money
5) conservative council would have never accepted
6) not enough light or ventilation in the middle of the house
7) neighbours would have thought we were insane  


No comments:

Post a Comment