![]() |
| Our purchases from our shopping day in Stra ya ( as they say ) |
| the slab for the garage/Ivan's mother's room |
| The base of the house |
![]() |
| The redlands bay jetty |
![]() |
| Out with the old and in with the new , nurse that is ! |
Sorry i have not written in so long , i guess the whole question is, is this a bad idea or not? Do I like island living, or don't I . Who am I ? Who will I be. Will I self actualize?
So what's not to like about living on a small island ?
Don't i like birds and nature, peace and quiet ??
but it sure is quiet. Almost too quiet, eerie, haunted quiet, Curlew screeching and wailing through the night and then as if some evil joke that Kookaburras start their maniacal laughing before the crack of dawn. How on earth, is a perimenopausal woman supposed to get any rest ??/
WHEN WE GO FOR A WALK AT 8PM EVERYONE IS LIGHTS OUT!
I think I am still adjusting to this so I am not going to form
any judgements, yet??!
So Ivan bought a scooter .. another first for us. We have also realized we have never had to put the garbage bins out : wednesdays regular bins and recycling every 2nd wednesday...
So back to the scooter, he bought ride it to the ferry and back, not that he has but he might, So that's a good thing...
I guess the bad thing is when you decide to go to let your husband take you for a ride, with a bicycle helmet, at night, when there's no street lights, and your husband has no experience riding a scooter.
So basically we came to a sharp turn and Ivan didn't think he could slow down or turn quick enough so he basically drove off the road towards the ocean down a steep slope..
I saw my life flash before my eyes as you do ... yelled WE'RE FUCKED ... quickly thought, I knew this was a bad idea... and rolled off the scooter onto the bushes slash gravel.
I must be quite good at falling , because I did this awesome roll... Ivan plummeted down the path slash road slash death trap towards the ocean but it was actually a road of some sort and he managed to stop the bike turn back around and come back up to see me lying on the ground....
He was quite shocked and said, i turned around and all of a sudden you were gone.
The alternative to me looked too bleak so I bailed I said. Don't worry though for an old bird. i am fine just a little bruised and non impressed with Ivan's driving skills.
The other interesting thing that has happened is I have started a new job as the local Island Nurse....I will not say where I work for professional sake, but there is only one nursing job on the island , so it is pretty easy to figure out where I would be working ... but to be on the safe side i will only say positive things about where I work. I guess I can say though, I work in a very very small building . It is actually a house that has been changed into a GP practice.. the break room is sitting on the toilet. The work is interesting a lot of needle sticking in people related stuff... you know what I'm saying.
The other thing that is very different is everybody knows who I AM. Has heard that I'm there and knows what I'm doing... like the other day a lady came in and told me my slab had just been poured on my block and mentioned that i had a very big cat. this was quite interesting to me... must attempt to be more reserved and private. Must remember not to mention diva cup or other weird things. ALSO my nice work college told me I should wear a name tag stating my nationality.
It seems to be the hot topic in that place .
The house has started now and the slab has been poured and they are starting on the frame . Very exciting, crazy how big it looks. I thought it was quite a small house, it is alot bigger than it looks on paper..
We had our first weekend excursion off the island to do weekly shop...It was really quite nice, the ferry ride was beautiful, it was a rainy day and the ocean was really quite still and peaceful.
We actually saw some new friends ... We had met garage saling one morning and stopped to check out their project. The are camping in their garage while building a 70,000 $ kit home. They have been at it for 2 years now they have quite a nice setup in the garage.
signing off till my next adventure !



No comments:
Post a Comment